Sign my
GuestBook

Fairlie Merddin Emrys

7.4

Detailing: top side

 

Intermezzo

 

The area of the manifold is a beast on both sides. Again the manual is not very clear about it, probably because it is next to impossible to describe the intricate tangle in decent English. The photos can only show so much from any given angle and you need to look at many photos independently to construct a 3D image of what pipe is going where and for what reason. And then there is the complication of simplification (now, is that a nice oxymoron?). I mean this: there are many, many pipes and every pipe has joints, bends and valves. You can model only so much in a given time frame and with any given level of detail. Inevitably you have to simplify things to ever finish the model. At least I had to make compromises otherwise I would be building this loco for ever. After work on the model ceased after the spring of 2017 I has started work on the top side manifold. In the following autumn when resumption of the work dawned I found myself procrastinating over and over again, dreading all the details I needed to address without a clear picture in my head. In June I had been in Wales to meet Merddin and Friends (David Lloyd George, Earl of Merioneth and Taliesin) and to take lots of detail photos to clarify things only to find that the piping arrangement had thoroughly changed after Merddin's latest overhaul in 2015. So the photos, however nice to see and document the loco in real life, were not going to be overly useful.

In late November 2017 I collected all my courage and took the jump. I decided to leave out many small pipes and get on with it. Anyone criticising me for it, be my guest, and build a better model.

Manifold

 

The first act of the restart of the project.

I added the whistle on the top side of the locomotive. The manual recommends to add it after painting but I will mask the whistle during painting. I prefer the more robust fastening by soldering over any glue. I polished the whistle before soldering. I also added a pipe running into the from the side of the manifold.

 

The pipe running down from the manifold was soldered (right on the photo).

This made the dome base permanent, until now I could still remove it to work on it. I also shortened the bolt of the dome base to avoid any inteference inside the dome. I also added a pipe in the back of the manifold which in hindsight should have been straight, but what's done is done.

 

Top cab side at the back of the manifold.

The three stubs were shortened and handwheels fitted.

The dome is trial fitted.

It needed some filing before it would sit well. I used the black line in the center of the cab front to aim the dome sitting straight. I have no idea why there is no space to fit it without filing, the figures of the manual do not point towards a problem. But there is little else can do but scrape a bit off the dome. A greedy board needs to be added to the coal bunker (it serves to increase coal capacity) so I need to do that first before I finalise the dome's shape.

The greedy board in place.

I soldered the four tabs only to keep the prototypical seam to show up.