2014-10-17 Spoorparade

On the occasion of 175 years of railways in the Netherlands a Rail Parade was held at the end of October 2014 in Amersfoort.
DSC05562  The first thing to see was  a steam train parading up and down alongside the exhibition area. With a German 23 Class steam locomotive at each this train may be a nice sight on its own, but a disgrace to the Dutch preservation movement. We simply don't have one single Dutch locomotive of this size operational anymore. DSC05563  As it happens this steam locomotive was one of the youngest exhibits, younger by years than the diesels and electric stock. DSC05567 DSC05572
DSC05582 DSC05610 DSC05627  The other one at the back end DSC05660  We boarded the train. It was supposed to run a scant one (!) kilometre. Well, that turned out to be 500 metres up and 500 metres down.
DSC05658 DSC05666 DSC05678 DSC05671  We took a ride on the Ferris wheel
DSC05685  The exhibition was on the site of the old wagon works of the Dutch railways. Much of the old buildings remained after its closure in 2000 and are now in varied use. This is the main wagon hall. DSC05686  A view towards the other side. DSC05687 DSC05689
DSC05691 Spoorparade  Centre piece of the exhibition was the actual parade DSC05699  It started with a Laurel & Hardy act, showing a handcar. DSC05703  Next in line was an early diesel. Built in 1956-57 the ten members of this class were intended to replace steam on the remaining overland tramway lines in Friesland and Groningen. The overland tramway era ended pretty abruptly in the sixties though and these engines were relegated  to minor shunting services due to their light construction. They were withdrawn as early as 1972.
DSC05705 DSC05706  The 7700 class counted 44 members, built for the  HSM  between 1905 and 1914. This particular locomotive celebrated its 100th birthday this year.  This is the largest operational Dutch steam locomotive! All larger steam loco's originate from other countries (mainly Germany). DSC05707  But admittedly it is a gem, showing off HSM's taste for a bit more than just functionality DSC05718
DSC05719  A recently restored 1930s internal combustion locomotive. 52 were built for leight shunting service at stations between 1927 and 1932 with a petrol engine. DSC05720 DSC05724 DSC05732
DSC05735 DSC05726  Later in the thirties a heavier class followed suit. 169 were built from 1934-1940 and after the war from 1949-1951. Their whistle was powered by the exhaust of the diesel engine deserving them their nickname "goatee". Although not in service anymore, 77 members of the class still survive DSC05727 DSC05736
DSC05751  A crane version for light lifting and rail maintenance duties DSC05753  Next in line was the locomotive that I really came for: this US built war locomotive came to Europe after the invasion to provide shunting services behind the frontline. It was sold to a coal mine in South Limburg in 1947 and survived into preservation. It was restored to full working order in 2013 DSC05811 DSC05904
DSC05856 DSC05855 DSC05853 DSC05859
DSC05862 DSC05864 DSC05865 DSC05892
DSC05907 DSC05901  This is another warbaby, originating from the British Isles this time. Built in 1941 they were intended for shunting duties in the ammunition depots. Because of their simple and undemanding construction fifteen members of the class were assigned for duties immediately following the invasion. Number 33 landed on Juno Beach in Normandy on the 26th of July 1944. Five of the class eventually ended up in the Netherlands. After the war they were used for freight services on overland tramlines. After a varied history the sole survivor is now operational again. DSC05821  This loco dating from 1901 is the oldest operational steam locomotive in the Netherlands. 31 were built for light shunting duties. Their jumpy nature deserved them their nickname "Kikker", Frog. DSC05834
DSC05838 DSC05844 DSC05845 DSC05899
DSC05876  This  Blue Angel , so named after it original colour and its wing shaped manufacturer's plate on the nose, was built for the relief of steam on branchlines. 30 single car and 46 double cars sets were built in 1953-1955. They lasted well into the nineties at the Dutch Railways, and some served a few more years after sale to other companies. The last one was withdrawn in 2002 having set the record for the longest operating railcar to 48 years DSC05878 DSC05909  There were a few model railroads on display DSC05912  This loco from the NBDS was the first six-coupled express class in the Netherlands
DSC05914 DSC05915  The site of the old wagon works was in itself a beautiful exhibit DSC05916 DSC05918  The bridge near Rhenen, destroyed in 1945 by the retreating German troops and never restored.
DSC05922  A Class '24 in a later NS livery DSC05923 DSC05925 DSC05928
DSC05937 DSC05936 DSC05931  A beauty of a model of a  NS 4000 Class . DSC05940
DSC05949 DSC05950 DSC05952 DSC05955  The latest addition to the Dutch fleet, the  E186  for high speed services, the first new NS locomotive in twenty years.
DSC05958  A Dutch American. Designed and  built by Baldwin and Werkspoor in 1951-193. This museum engine  shows off  its original livery. The turquoise soon proved very impractical and was quickly replaced by dark blue. Personally I think this class  1200  is the most characteristic Dutch electrical locomotive. DSC05959 DSC05960 DSC05962
DSC05963 DSC05964 DSC05965 DSC05966
DSC05967 DSC05957 DSC05969 DSC05970
DSC05971 DSC05972 DSC05956  The  Class '34 DE3   three car diesel sets caused a stir when they hit the metals  in 1934. Built as a stopgap measure to replace steam on not yet electrified mainlines, their sleek and modern appearance drew a lot of attention. Soon however their engines started to fail. All of them needed replacement and two years were lost, steam filling in the gap succesfully. Their star never really rose again. Their re-entrance was overshadowed by the advent of war and they served rather modest services after the war, being forced out of their mainline duties by the rapidly advancing electrification. They survived the end of steam (1958) by a mere six years. DSC05973
DSC05974 DSC05976  Gas mask? DSC05977  The two Blue Angel classes I discussed before had a solitary member in a third class. No 20 was derived from the single car class and used as inspection and representation vehicle for the board of NS. Because of its two raised operating cabines it was aptly named "The Camel". Built in 1954 it served its original purpose until 1973 whereafter it was used as a partytrain up for private hire. It was withdrawn in 1991 and led a cumbersome existence in the open air at the national Railway museum in Utrecht. After a thorough restoration in the Tilburg workshop it made a glamorous comeback in 2008, again as a vehicle for the board of NS, and has been a highly regarded guest on many occasions since. DSC05978
DSC05982 DSC05984 DSC05985 DSC05988
DSC05998 DSC05990 DSC05992 DSC05999