Sign my
GuestBook

NS class 5000

Superstructure of the locomotive

Now the chassis and the gearbox have been joined succesfully a heap of parts remain the box that need to be assembled. The "manual" of DJH of the locomotive proper consists of just two pages with exploded views. The numbering on these views is virtually useless because the parts themselves have no recognisable identification. So I will have to make my own manual, derived from the parts available, from the experience I have with the AD60 and a touch of common sense.

First I laid out all parts and started to group them in logical building groups. After some to and fro I ended up with just three main groups

  • everything under the running board: the chassis;
  • the running board itself;
  • and everything above the running board; the superstructure.

A fourth group  contained the few parts I could not identify in the eploded view. Maybe it will be become clear were these two have to go.

I identified all parts and laid them out on a logical place and devised an assembly sequence if necessary. Assembly order of most parts is rather inconsequential or so logical that it will need no further explanation. The following parts are provided in the kit but will be replaced with a more suiteable part:

Chassis

61, replaced by a Dutch version

62, replaced by brass or NS examples from e.g. Markits

68, will be replaced by a make of my own

69, will be replaced by a make of my own

72, will be replaced by a make of my own

Running Board

23, will be replaced by sprung buffers from Philotrain

28, will be replaced by lost wax brass examples from Philotrain

33, will be replaced by lost wax brass examples from Philotrain

Superstructure 22, will be replaced by lost wax brass examples from Philotrain

Handrails

Will be discarded wholesale and replaced by nickel silver wire made to fit with Markits knobs.

Cab

Now let's go to work
The cab is cleaned up from etch cusps and fret bridges, then rolled flat,
and folded and soldered.

Two? No, the same but photographed from two angles and then photoshopped together. Nice innit?

Cleaning the boiler

The kit was showing its age with all the muck on the boiler

A kind of papery fibery thingy muck

It went off with a fibre glass pencil. Effective but very laborious.

One and a half hour later: done!

A test spray with base coat, which betrays every corner I forgot.

After a second test spray the boiler came out clean

Attaching the boiler

Now attention turned to fastening the boiler to the running board. The kit as provided forsaw a narrow motor inclined in the firebox. This setup would allow the boiler to be soldered to the running board and the cab. But in my altered setup the motor is wider then the slot provided and it also protrudes forward into the boiler. So I could no longer simply solder the boiler in place.

So I made two brass brackets, each having a nut soldered to it and suitable milled to match the width available on the inside of the firebox.

Tha brackets were soldered inside the firebox with as much brass sheet as I could get. It strengthened the thin firbox sides and it also reduces the risk of the brackets coming loose when stress is put on it.